Friday, May 9, 2014

Joe MacGown's Surreal and Semi Strange Visions Exhibition, Starkville, MS

I will be having an exhibition of some of my weird art at the Mississippi Modern Homesteading Center in Starkville, MS from 15 May through 15 July 2014. There will be an opening reception from 6-8 PM on Thursday, 15 May 2014. Works are primarily for display, but are also for sale. Originals ranges from $450 to $11,000. Yep, $11,000. Hell, I probably won't sell one for that price here in a small town, but based on the hours alone that I have in some of these, this is a bargain. Throw in the fact that I have exhibited side by side with some amazing international artists in various countries, and well, these might even be a good investment!  These are one of a kind pieces of original artwork that no one else will ever be do. I have a unique style that I have  been developing for over 40 years. I can safely say that nobody else in this part of the world is doing anything remotely similar. I will also have archival prints of many works, including some that will not be in this exhibition, and a few soft cover copies of my new art book available for sale (check or cash only). The book is 96 pages, 8.5 X 11 inches, and with glossy interior pages. Price: $40. Filled with loads of art! I also have hard back copies of this book available online for $64.51. You can purchase this version of the book and see a preview of the cover and inside of this book at http://www.blurb.com/b/5265025-subconscious-meandering. 


Convergence
Directions to the Homesteading Center from Starkville: Go West on Hwy 12 past Wal-mart. Fork right at the Shell Station onto New Lite Rd or Old Hwy 12. Go 1.4 miles and turn right on Ridgewood Rd. At first fork go left onto Lake Valley Rd. At second fork go right. Homestead is 2nd drive on right across from Lake Valley Gun Works.

Basically, I create chaotic assemblages of strange mutated creatures, crowded surreal landscapes, and mandala-like designs that reflect my thoughts and observations of life on this planet. Using imaginative imagery and random patterns, I produce detailed drawings and mixed media paintings by simply allowing ideas to “flow out of my head” using a method I describe as “Subconscious Meandering.” My background in entomology and natural history, coupled with my love of science fiction and cynicism of all things human, provide ample fodder for my surreal visions, which range from dark and foreboding to light and whimsical.


Ambition
Henry's Fantastic Undersea World
Organic Cosmic Lock
Cancer
Thanks a bunch to the Buellers for asking me to have this show at their place, and to to Jessica Cheek for helping me put this together. 

Totem Pagan Goddess

No comments: