Friday, April 4, 2014

Cotton DIstrict Arts Festival Coming up on April 12th, 2014

Yet another year has passed, and here we are again, another Cotton District Arts Festival in the Cotton District of Starkville, MS. This is a great festival with music, food, art, a 5k run and more. As always, thanks to Dan Camp who originally got this wonderful festival going and still allows the Starkville Area Arts Council to host it in his Cotton District neighborhood, arguably the only progressive neighborhood in Starkville. Of course, for me, the highlights are usually the 5k run, which I typically do with my son Joseph (last year he was the overall winner and I was the 2nd overall male), and the Juried Art Exhibition. 

The juried exhibition is open to regional artists over the age of 18 and is judged by a different juror each year. This year's juror is David Lambert (davidlambert.com), a unique artist who's art has been described as surrealism, pop art, and expressionism. This guy has some nice credentials including being the former vice president of Bryant Gallery in Jackson, MS and the current Gallery Director of Michalopoulos Gallery in New Orleans, LA. In case you don't know, Bryant Gallery, which I don't believe is still around, was pretty much the only serious gallery in Mississippi. But, anyway, yeah, this trippy painter guy knows his art! This show has been pretty good to me over the last few years, as I have won Best of Show or the equivalent a few times, and/or other prizes. Last year was another super good year for me, and I won Best of Show with my piece entitled "Cancer" and also sold another piece entitled "Mayan Awakening!" 

Mayan Awakening
Cancer
Of course, being accepted in the show is not a given, so I was quite pleased to learn that all three of the pieces that I entered this year were accepted in the show. I don't know how I will fair, but at the very least, I will have some weird art on display including  "Convergence," "March Madness," and "Going to the Circus."  I feel like all threes are strong, with "Convergence" being the strongest (in my opinion). I generally try to enter quality pieces in this show, and try to have something slightly different each year. The awards for this exhibition will be held in the Visuals Arts Building on University Drive at 9:30 AM. If you are in the area, please come by and view all of the works in the show, which will be on display until 4 PM that day! 

Convergence
March Madness
Going to the Circus

No comments: