Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Talking about art to college kids...


Well, about a week or so ago, I talked to a couple of Landscape Design classes from Mississippi State University at the Greater Starkville Development Partnership Gallery in downtown Starkville. One of the professors, Bob Bruzak, had attended the opening for our abstract show and thought it would be cool for me to talk to the students about nature in art, abstract design, artistic process, putting yourself out there as an artist, and other things. I thought it went pretty well and I even had a few questions afterward. 







This week, yet another talk to art students. I traveled over to East Mississippi Community College in Scooba, MS at the request of Terry Cherry, an awesome art instructor over there, to talk to some drawing I and II students, as well as an art appreciation class. I showed them about 10 of my works and described my random process of creation. I tried to emphasize that uniqueness is important and everyone has something in them that makes them different. Harness that, and, well, that's the ticket. Of course, skill is important and fundamentals don't hurt. Look at the world in your own way and try to express your visions artistically! Anyway, another nice group of kids! Also, it was good to see Austin Miles over there in the art appreciation class. Austin used to run for me when I coached XC at Starkville Academy. And, its always a pleasure to hang out with Terry Cherry and Lisa Spinks! 



No comments: