Thursday, April 22, 2021

Earth Day inspired -Resignation Painting




I created Resignation using various brands of colored inks from bottles and fine tipped Koh- I-Noor Rapidograph pens on primed wood. I started it in early December, and after a lot of binge drawing, finished it up early 2017. 

Lately, I've been looking for more unique or interesting ways of framing my art. I have framed many of my pieces with traditional type frames myself at a friend's framing shop (Mark Wood, Chalet Arts in Starkville) or had them framed there. But I've wanted to do more interesting framing since I was young. It was only recently that I purchased a table saw, a decent jigsaw, and a miter saw to potentially create some more unique frames. Also, I randomly keep an eye out for interesting old frames that might be used in conjunction with some of my art. Indeed, that was the case here, as I found the frame used for "Resignation" at a local pawnshop. This frame, and two others, were mirror frames, and it took a bit of bartering before the owner sold me the three mirrors for a decent price. The next day, I started two pieces for these frames: "Resignation" and "Love Thyself." 

Of course, when I start a piece of art, I have no idea of what I am going to do. At best, I may have a simple design in mind, but usually not even that. In the case of Resignation, I wanted a strong piece with perhaps some intrinsic meaning to pair with the over-the-top gaudiness of the mirror frame, that likely would have found its way into the bedroom of some double wide trailer. I cut a piece of wood to fit the place once occupied by the mirror, and then I added a couple of coats of white Kilz primer. Priming was done unceremoniously with a cheap ass house painting brush from Dirt Cheap. I don't smooth dried brush strokes out, because I like the random textures created from my casual brushing. 

After the second coat of primer was finished and dry, I began randomly applying colored inks from bottles (assorted brands). I brushed the ink on with different sized brushes and poured ink directly onto the wood. While applying inks, I let it flow about, moving the wood to aid in the flow. Before ink was dry, I used crumpled pieces of paper towel to blot areas and create patterns in the ink. I like the way ink moves on the primed wood surface and how different types of inks react to one another while still wet. As with similar pieces, I apply the color inks in many light, almost transparent/translucent layers, letting each layer dry before doing the next. This process takes many days, but I like the end result. 

Typically, I work on several pieces simultaneously. At some point, I look at the piece, and start seeing shapes, so I start drawing with my fine tipped pens with permanent black ink. The drawing part is very time consuming because the pen is easily clogged on this primed and inked board. I have to basically caress the picture with the pen. Thus begins the back-and-forth process of drawing areas and adding additional color where needed. At first, the image is an amorphous soup of green chaos with no direction. But, gradually, one thing leads to another, and shapes begin to coalesce. The picture basically draws itself. A story unfolds as I simply hold the pen. This takes place over many hours at various times of day and night. I don't need inspiration; I simply need to time to let it flow out. Every once in a while, I take the picture and stand it up elsewhere, looking at it from afar, to see what's growing. 

Although I don't start with a particular idea, all of my pieces represent the myriad thoughts I have. And obviously, as an entomologist, and someone who has studied nature since I was a kid, there is a strong connection to science and biology represented in my artwork. However, this connection has little to do with where I work, as I was doing similarly styled images as a young kid. More likely, I work where I do because that was my interest to begin with. 

Resignation, ink on wood, by Joe A. MacGown

At some point in time, a somewhat saddened face emerges from near the center. This guy–me–you–the composite face of mankind–becomes the focal point of the picture. He's concerned but resigned. About what? Well, whatever is in my head I suppose? Currently, we have leadership of our state and country that is anti-education, anti -environment, anti- science, etc., and mostly concerned about personal gain at the expense of everything else. My having studied nature is certainly a big part of this picture and others as well. Life is chaotic, but ever so interconnected. Every single thing we do has some repercussion, be it good or bad. Our planet is being filled to the brim with people. We are dead set on destroying the planet, wiping out forests, destroying aquatic life, killing off species daily…this can't go on indefinitely. Of course, many people do things in the name of one religion or another. It is easy to not take responsibility for something when you believe in a fantastical god who could make everything perfect in a second if he or she or it wanted to (and apparently does not want to). Many people actually believe everything happens according to some incredible plan and that among the gazillions of star systems, there is only one god and only one planet with life and we are special, and we are loved by god and he will take care of us and we can continue screwing up the planet because it is our toy. Unfortunately, we are truly causing serious problems with life on this speck of a planet in the vastness of the universe. Too many people, too much greed, too much everything. Resignation. Mother Nature, Father Earth, God? What would they say if they could? If they existed?? Mutate, reproduce, absorb, integrate, segregate, accumulate, intertwine, become one, become none–life. All life is dependent and interconnected with other life and the inanimate. Perhaps, even with some other spiritual system in another dimension. Who knows? Viruses, bacteria, and other microorganisms abound. Perhaps the results of mankind's folly will be good for other life forms. Maybe we are but a small part of the bigger picture. A larger flow. Let the ink flow where it may. I'm resigned to my fate, whatever it may be. Meanwhile, I rejoice in the greenness that is left. 


Resignation in a gnarly frame

No comments: